Research Supporting Health Risk Evaluations
Studies focused on improving our understanding and estimation of the risks associated with EMF exposure must meet the highest quality scientific criteria, including high biological sensitivity for detecting the smallest effects and reproducibility of the experiments. The IT'IS Foundation is committed to applying its vast expertise in EMF health risk assessments to fulfill these quality criteria by involving its collaborative partner network in multi-disciplinary fields, developing optimized exposure systems, selecting exposure regimes, and performing macro and micro dosimetry.
Selected Past Achievements
- The Foundation has participated in over 100 in vitro, in vivo, and human provocation studies during the last decade.
- We are currently the coordinator of two multi-disciplinary, collaborative projects supported by the 7th Framework of the EU, SEAWIND and ARIMMORA.
- We have initiated and provided seed funding in support of genotoxicity replication studies based on the REFLEX results.
- We have developed, installed, and maintained more than 30 different exposure systems optimized for specific experiments and fully characterized for dosimetry and potential artifacts. Such exposure systems include in vitro (with live imaging), in vivo, and human provocation systems for different frequencies, field types and exposure paradigms.
- We organized targeted workshops to evaluate the current state of knowledge and to provide suggestions for devising comprehensive evaluation methods and future experiments that may significantly expand the knowledge in this field (e.g., Monte Verita Workshop in 2005 and 2012).
- To prudently select the most promising experiments to participate in for the purpose of significantly expanding our current knowledge of the interactions of EMF with biological systems, considering the vastly shrinking funding pipeline for bioelectromagnetic research.
- To initiate or participate in experiments focused on determining the associated interaction mechanisms of EMF by applying the most sensitive and scientifically sound techniques.